Traveling alone is one of the most life-changing experiences you can have in your life. Even people who have only traveled solo only once can tell you how traveling alone is much different than traveling with family or friends.
The experiences on the road can change your personality in a very positive way and help you become more open-minded and self-confident. Frequent solo travelers know the benefits of traveling alone. Most never go back to traveling with large groups.
If you haven’t tried solo traveling and are hesitant to take the first step, we recommend reading the inspirational traveling alone quotes in this article to help you build confidence.
Although the journey may not be easy initially, you will learn a lot from being on your own, exploring new things, and having fresh experiences. Read some of the best traveling alone quotes below to encourage yourself to book a flight ticket for your first solo adventure.
Here Are Some of the Most Motivational Traveling Alone Quotes for Aspiring Travelers
1. “You are the one that possesses the keys to your being. You carry the passport to your own happiness.” – Diane von Furstenberg
2. “Travel is an investment in yourself.” – Anonymous
3. “Traveling alone will be the scariest, most liberating, life-changing experience of your life. Try it at least once!” – Anonymous
4. “I always wonder why birds choose to stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on earth. Then I ask myself the same question.” – Harun Yahya
5. “Traveling alone doesn’t always mean you’re alone. Most often, you meet marvelous people along the way and make connections that last a lifetime.” – Jacqueline Boone
6. “Always go with the choice that scares you the most, because that’s the one thing that is going to require the most from you.” – Caroline Myss
7. “I think one travels more usefully when they travel alone because they reflect more.” – Thomas Jefferson
8. “When the traveler goes alone, he gets acquainted by himself.” – Liberty Hyde Bailey
9. “A ship is safe in the harbor, but that’s not what ships are built for.” – Gael Attal
10. “Not I, nor anyone else, can travel that road for you. You must travel it for yourself.” – Walt Whitman
11. “You must go on adventures to find out where you belong.” – Sue Fitzmaurice
12. “I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.” – Mary Anne Radmacher
13. “Loving life is easy when you are abroad. Where no one knows you, and you hold your life in your hands all alone, you are more master of yourself than at any other time.” – Hannah Arendt
14. “I wondered why it was that places are so much lovelier when one is alone.” – Daphne du Maurier
15. “Loneliness adds beauty to life. It puts a special burn on sunsets and makes night air smell better.” – Henry Rollins
16. “Never did the world make a queen of a girl who hides in houses and dreams without traveling.” – Roman Payne
17. “Live your life by a compass, not a clock.” – Erica Jong
18. “Travel far enough to meet yourself!” – Anonymous
19. “Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?” – Mary Oliver
20. “If you have to wait for someone to travel with you, you may end up waiting a lifetime!” – Unknown
21. “You have exactly one life in which to do everything you’ll ever do. Act accordingly!” – Colin Wright
22. “If you don’t get out of the box you’ve been raised in, you won’t understand how much bigger the world is.” – Angelina Jolie
23. “Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
24. “Nobody can discover the world for somebody else. Only when we discover it for ourselves does it become common ground and a common bond, and we cease to be alone.” – Wendell Berry
25. “I’m never happier than when I’m alone in a foreign city; it is as if I had become invisible.” – Storm Jameson
26. “Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.” – Neale Donald Walsch
27. “This is the journey of your life. Don’t try to explain it to others because only you can see it.” – Nitin Namdeo
28. “Adventure can be an end in itself. Self-discovery is the secret ingredient.” – Grace Lichtenstein
29. “To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the most pleasant sensations in the world.” – Freya Stark
30. “Travel doesn’t become adventure until you leave yourself behind.” – Marty Rubin
31. “A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions.” – Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
32. “Walk your own path and be yourself.” – Joanne Nussbaum
33. “There are better things ahead than any we leave behind” – C.S. Lewis
34. “Don’t be scared to walk alone. Don’t be scared to like it.” – John Mayer
35. “My soul is from elsewhere, I’m sure of that, and I intend to end up there.” – Rumi
36. “People never learn anything by being told; they have to find out for themselves.” – Paulo Coelho
37. “There was nowhere to go but everywhere, so just keep on rolling under the stars.” – Jack Kerouac
38. “What good are wings without the courage to fly?” – Harper Lee
39. “I’m not afraid of storms, for I’m learning how to sail my ship.” – Mary Louise Alcott
40. “Solo travel not only pushes you out of your comfort zone, it also pushes you out of the zone of others’ expectations.” – Suzy Strutner
41. “To travel is worth any cost or sacrifice.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
42. “The life you have led doesn’t need to be the only life you have.” – Anna Quindlen
43. “Traveling solo means getting to know the real you!” – Unknown
44. “Then one day, when you least expect it, the great adventure finds you.” – Ewan McGregor
45. “A nomad I will remain for life, in love with distant and uncharted places.” – Isabelle Eberhardt
46. “The journey of life is amazingly beautiful if you take it as a fearless adventure.” – Debasish Mridha
47. “When a thing beckons you to explore it without telling you why or how this is not a red herring; it’s a map.” – Gina Greenlee
48. “Some journeys can be only traveled alone!” – Ken Poirot
49. “If you make friends with yourself, you will never be alone.” – Maxwell Maltz
50. “Keep good company – that is, go to the Louvre.” Paul Cezanne
51. “Travel only with thy equals or thy betters; if there are none, travel alone.” — Buddha
52. “There are some places in life where you can only go alone. Embrace the beauty of your solo journey.” – Mandy Hale
53. “Always choose the window seat. We often forget there’s magic in flying. But what it brings to our lives is undeniably the stuff of dreams.” – Timi Nadela
54. “I used to be a pedestrian before; now I am the rider on the same road.” – Piyush Paudyal
55. “It is pointless to embark on any journey if you do not believe yourself worthy of the destination.” – Anthon St. Maarten
56. “Sometimes the best journeys are those that start when we do not plan, continue how we do not expect, and are taking us places we do not know.” – Aisha Mirza
57. “Everywhere you go, you shall find dramatic splendor and awe because your majestic soul is part of the vivid whole, and nothing about you is ignoble.” – Kilroy J. Oldster
58. “I am, of course, lost in this journey I’m on, but I do remain confident; though I am lost, it will be a great adventure; this adventure will surpass my wildest imagination. So call me a fool, but I’m happy to be lost.” – Micheline Jean Louis
59. “It’s not getting from A to B. It’s not the beginning or the destination that counts. It’s the ride in between…This train is alive with things that should be seen and heard. It’s a living, breathing something – you just have to want to learn its rhythm.” – David Baldacci
60. “Looking in the mirror, I saw a joyful face. And this happy girl was just about to go on a trip, with a one-way ticket in her bag. Life was a never-ending journey.” – Nico J. Genes
40 Inspiring Solo Travel Quotes
Dreaming of traveling the world as a solo traveler and trying to gather up the courage to do it? Here are 40 inspiring solo travel quotes to inspire you to travel alone.
The traveling alone quotes mentioned above may have dispelled some of the fear and hesitation you might feel about journeying solo.
It is important to remember that even though you might feel anxious about going on an adventure alone now, it will be an experience that you will look back on and cherish for the rest of your life.
When you travel alone, you can do things at your pace and take your time to explore the local areas around you.
To read more quotes about traveling, click on the links below.
Hi I’m Jay. I grew up in Seattle, Washington and live in Los Angeles, California. I have travelled to 23 countries so far and planning to go explore more countries soon! My Favorite trips so far have been to Israel, Japan, Rome, Iceland and Australia. I started this site to share my love of travel with everyone and build a community of like-minded, free thinking, free exploring people.